Oleksandr Gvozdyk makes his first title defense against Doudou Ngumbu on ESPN.
Oleksandr Gvozdyk returns to the ring tonight in Philadelphia, making the first defense of his WBC light heavyweight title against Doudou Ngumbu in the main event on ESPN.
The action starts at 6 pm ET with the prelim bouts streaming live on ESPN+, and continues at 10 pm ET with the main card on ESPN.
Gvozdyk (16-0, 13 KO) is coming off of a December stoppage of Adonis Stevenson, ending Stevenson’s long 175-pound title reign. Ngumbu (38-8, 14 KO) isn’t much of a challenge on paper, a 37-year-old veteran who has always been a level below the top tier of the light heavyweight division.
The co-feature will see welterweight contender Egidijus Kavaliauskas (21-0, 17 KO) look to take perhaps a final step toward a world title shot, as he faces Ray Robinson (24-3, 12 KO) in a 10-round bout.
The big fight on the prelim portion of the show is an IBF welterweight eliminator between Kudratillo Abdukakhorov (15-0, 9 KO) and Keita Obara (20-3-1, 18 KO). That looks like it’s scheduled for the middle of the prelims, too, so if you’re looking to see it, don’t tune in late assuming it’ll be the last fight before the main card, because it doesn’t appear that it will be.
Wil Esco will be on the call tonight. Here’s the rest of the card:
- Sonny Conto (1-0, 1 KO) vs Omar Acosta (1-5, 1 KO), heavyweights, 4 rounds
- Jose Lopez (11-1, 9 KO) vs Askhat Ualikhanov (4-1, 2 KO), junior welterweights, 8 rounds
- Fredrick Lawson (27-1, 21 KO) vs Juan Ruiz (21-4, 13 KO), welterweights, 8 rounds
- Christian Mbilli (13-0, 13 KO) vs Humberto Gutierrez (33-7-2, 22 KO), middleweights, 8 rounds
- Cassius Chaney (14-0, 8 KO) vs Christian Mariscal (12-2, 5 KO), heavyweights, 6 rounds
- Donald Smith (8-0, 5 KO) vs Jose Antonio Martinez (11-17, 6 KO), super featherweights, 6 rounds
- Jeremy Adorno (debut) vs Sebastian Baltazar (1-3, 0 KO), super bantamweights, 4 rounds