Hearn says no Joshua-Wilder fight this year

1137856608.jpg.0 - Hearn says no Joshua-Wilder fight this year

Hearn says he’s believes WIlder is already targeting two more WBC title defenses within PBC.

With the expectation that Eddie Hearn will soon announce Andy Ruiz as Anthony Joshua’s late substitute opponent for June 1, the Matchroom promoter also shares word that he doesn’t expect an undisputed heavyweight title unification bout against Deontay Wilder to happen at all this year.

Bummer.

Wilder is currently slated to take on mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale on May 18, but Hearn mentions that Wilder has plans other than Joshua following that fight, saying Wilder will instead rematch Luis Ortiz followed by a fight against Adam Kownacki.

Via WBN:

“Everybody in the business tells me that he (Deontay Wilder) has been told and all these fighters have been told that his next fights are Ortiz and Kownacki.

“That worries me because the only fight we want next is Deontay. They’ve got a plan to fight these other guys in place,” pointed out Hearn to Barbershop Conversations.

Obviously this is not the kind of thing that fight fans want to hear, and the thought of being well into 2020 before even the prospect of a Joshua-Wilder fight presenting itself is a frustrating one. That fight should’ve been made last year, and with each passing fight it only becomes more and more likely something comes along to ruin it.

With that being said, let’s not read too much into Wilder’s future based on comments made by Hearn. We all know this is a pretty fluid situation where things can change quickly, and at almost any moment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *