There’s another snag in Canelo-GGG negotiations and more from Thursday in boxing.
Miss anything Thursday? We’ve got you covered.
Canelo Alvarez and Gennadiy Golovkin are in talks for a Sept. 14 fight, but the deal is in danger because of location. Golovkin’s team don’t want to do it again in Las Vegas, Canelo’s team do. It’s all a lot of posturing until we either hear the fight is happening or it’s definitely, truly, officially not, which will only come when they’ve signed to fight other opponents. We went through this last year trying to get the second fight made.
Freddie Roach believes Manny Pacquiao will have to take risks against Keith Thurman if the 40-year-old southpaw is to win on July 20.
We previewed Sunday’s Rigondeaux-Ceja fight on FOX, and made our staff picks for Cancio-Machado II, coming up on Friday night.
- The International Olympic Committee has cut ties with AIBA, and it looks like AIBA is going bankrupt. Boxing will be held at Tokyo 2020, with the new layout for men’s and women’s divisions set.
- Eddie Hearn expects the July 20 fight between Dillian Whyte and Oscar Rivas to be for the interim WBC title and a mandatory position. That’s what I’d do, keep giving the WBC money and taking them at their word. Has worked out great so far.
- Brian Castano has vacated his WBA “world” junior middleweight title instead of taking what he felt was a bunk deal against mandatory challenger Michel Soro.
- Maciej Sulecki respects Demetrius Andrade, but feels Andrade is a weak middleweight. They meet June 29.
- Claressa Shields has suffered what is being called a minor injury in training, and won’t fight on Aug. 17. Her next bout will be rescheduled for the fall.
- D’Mitrius Ballard and Elias Espadas went to a no-contest in Thursday’s Golden Boy Fight Night main event. Eddie Gomez and Franchon Crews-Dezurn were among the undercard winners.
- Bare knuckle veteran Bobby Gunn talked about this weekend’s Malignaggi-Lobov fight.
- Top Rank have added Irish amateur star Paddy Donovan to their stable.