Leonard Ellerbe is Manny Pacquiao’s biggest fan and more from Thursday in boxing.
Miss anything Thursday? Get caught up!
This weekend’s fights are getting close, and while they’ve overall made for a pretty quiet Fight Week news cycle, we will have live coverage of two weigh-ins on Friday: Haney-Moran on DAZN at 3 pm ET and Ito-Herring on ESPN+ at 5 pm ET.
Jamel Herring says he thinks he’s about 50-50 against Masayuki Ito, and while that seems wild to me based on résumés, the one line we can find does have Herring the slight favorite.
We’ll ALSO have staff picks up for Ito-Herring (12 pm ET) and Trout-Gausha (3 pm ET) this afternoon.
Pacquiao-Thurman continues to be one of the big stories of the week with the fight two months away. Thurman says he doesn’t think Pacquiao has the hunger he once did, while Leonard Ellerbe in a bizarre twist of fate is now Manny Pacquiao’s biggest supporter.
Deontay Wilder appeared on Inside PBC Boxing and was very in-your-face about being the realest champ out there by talking about how he wants to kill an opponent, but then kinda fumbled around trying to explain why he’s not going to fight Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury this year.
- Thursday’s RJJ Boxing show on UFC Fight Pass was pretty entertaining, and featured a pretty sizable upset, as Simone Da Silva dominated meant-to-be-showcased Ikram Kerwat.
- With the news that Robeisy Ramirez is about to turn pro with Top Rank, his 2016 gold medal opponent Shakur Stevenson would like to get another crack at the man who beat him in Rio.
- Luis Nery will be back on the Pacquiao-Thurman card, and Rau’shee Warren and Juan Carlos Payano are possible opponents.
- Caleb Plant is determined to not lose everything against Mike Lee on July 20.
- There’s chatter about Bryant Jennings going to the UK to face Joe Joyce on the Dubois-Gorman undercard on July 13. That’s a pretty interesting fight for big, slow, heavy handed Joyce. Liam Williams, Sunny Edwards, and Archie Sharp will be in action on that show.
- Michael Hunter didn’t get Anthony Joshua on June 1, so he’ll try to force his way into a fight later. Hunter returns Saturday on DAZN.
- Katie Taylor says Delfine Persoon will be her toughest test to date on June 1. That could wind up being true if Persoon can win two rounds.