WBA orders box-off in junior middleweight division

1133322997.jpg.0 - WBA orders box-off in junior middleweight division

The sanctioning body unveils its plans for Erislandy Lara, Ramon Alvarez, Michel Soro, and Magomed Kurvanov.

The WBA has just ordered a four-man junior middleweight tournament of sorts, with the plan to have Erislandy Lara (25-3-3, 14 KOs) take on Ramon Alvarez (28-7-3, 16 KOs) for its vacant interim title, while having Michel Soro (33-2-1, 22 KOs) face Magomed Kurvanov (17-0, 11 KOs) for its vacant secondary world title.

[Remember a couple years ago when the WBA swore it was going to start eliminating its ridiculous number of titleholders, and said the raging promoters would just have to ‘live with it’? I know. Good times…]

From there the obvious plan is to have the winner of those two fights square off with one another. And if those winners are unable to strike a deal to face each other on their own, the WBA will order the fight to a purse bid, with its secondary titleholder (Soro/Kurvanov) to take 55% of the winning purse bid, while the interim titleholder (Lara/Alvarez) gets the remaining 45%.

Julian Williams, currently holds the WBA’s ‘super’ title at junior middleweight, after beating Jarrett Hurd this past May.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *