Edinson Cavani is in line to make his Manchester United debut against former club PSG after the Red Devils confirmed quarantine regulations will rule the Uruguayan out of the weekend trip to Newcastle.
Following his exit from PSG in June, Cavani joined United on a free transfer on deadline day. As a result, he went into self-isolation for a 14-day period after arriving from France on October 4.
It had been anticipated that coronavirus guidelines would lead to Cavani missing out at St James’ Park on Saturday. As such, United have now revealed the 33-year-old’s earliest availability is the Champions League clash at PSG next Tuesday.
However, given Cavani is unable to train with his new team-mates until the day before the visit to the French capital, his readiness for the fixture is open to debate.
A United statement said: “Cavani is being forced to self-isolate due to the COVID-19 guidelines, following his arrival into the country from France. This means he is unable to make his debut at St James’ Park.
“The Uruguay international will be free to play against his former club Paris St Germain in the Champions League, though, if deemed fit and ready for action.”
Cavani has joined United on an initial one-year deal. The striker has also revealed it was the advice of an United old boy who convinced him to head to Old Trafford.
The striker helped PSG to six Ligue 1 titles between 2013 and 2020. He is the club’s all-time leading scorer with 200 goals in 301 matches.
United also confirmed Cavani’s fellow forward Anthony Martial is out of the game at Newcastle. The Frenchman starts a three-match ban for his dismissal in the 6-1 loss against Tottenham before the international break.
READ MORE: Man Utd legend tips up perfect replacement for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Paul Scholes bemused by Cavani deal
Paul Scholes, meanwhile, has taken United to task over the signing of Cavani – and claims the veteran frontman should not have been given such a lengthy deal.
Scholes thinks that, despite his stellar record, a short-term three-month deal would have been wiser.
Asked what sort of season he expects from Cavani, Scholes told Stadium Astro: “Well, we’ll have to wait and see won’t we.
“Obviously in his day, he’s been a top quality centre-forward. There’s no doubt about that. But he’s 33 years old, looked like he was going to retire. But he’s not played a lot of football for PSG last season.
“Five, six years ago, yeah he’s a great signing, he’ll take us onto that next level possibly. But I just don’t think he’ll take us to the next level now.”
Read more of what Scholes had to say HERE….
The post Debut quirk of fate for Cavani as Man Utd confirm weekend absence appeared first on teamtalk.com.