Inter Milan sporting director Piero Ausilio has confirmed that the club held a meeting with Tottenham over Milan Skriniar.
The Slovakian centre-back has been heavily linked with Spurs over recent weeks, as Jose Mourinho looks to strengthen a brittle defence.
The Evening Standard claims that Skriniar and Benfica star Ruben Dias are Tottenham’s top targets before the transfer window shuts on October 5. Although Dias is also a major target for Manchester City.
Inter are reportedly refusing to budge over their £55million valuation of Skriniar. However, reports in Sunday’s papers claimed they could accept less to try and fund their own move for Chelsea’s N’Golo Kante.
Spurs have already brought in Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Joe Hart, Matt Doherty, Sergio Reguilon and Gareth Bale this summer.
Due to that outlay, it is thought they will now have to sell before they can buy again. The likes of Danny Rose, Serge Aurier, Juan Foyth and possibly Dele Alli are all expected to move on.
However, it looks like the north London club may end up disappointed in their chase for Skriniar.
Ausilio has insisted that the talented centre-back is not for sale. That news coming after Inter allowed veteran Diego Godin to join Cagliari earlier this week.
“I will not confirm any negotiations for Skriniar,” Ausilio told DAZN.
“There was a meeting with Tottenham, that is true. But we simply reiterated that Skriniar is not on the transfer market.
“We’ve already released Diego Godin from the defence and cannot think of losing Skriniar too.”
Conte comments give Tottenham slight hope
But Inter boss Antonio Conte has still given Spurs some hope over a deal after his comments following Inter’s 4-3 win over Fiorentina.
He told Sky Sport, as per Fabrizio Romano: “Skriniar to Tottenham? He’s part of our project here at Inter.
“But I don’t know if an important bid will arrive in the coming days… it’s possible that the club will consider it because of the financial situation”.
Mourinho and Spurs will strive up until the deadline to bring in two new players. A centre-back and a back-up striker for Harry Kane remain the priorities.
READ MORE: Tottenham have handed trials to two youngsters released by London rivals Chelsea and Arsenal this summer.
The post Inter sporting director provides major Milan Skriniar update after confirming Tottenham talks appeared first on teamtalk.com.