Egypt Mohamed Salah has been heavily criticised and called “negligent” after attending his brother’s wedding and subsequently contracting coronavirus.
Former Egypt and Tottenham forward Mido believes the Liverpool star “made a big mistake” attending the celebration.
Salah tested positive for Covid-19 last week just days after he attended his brother’s wedding. He was pictured without a mask at the busy indoor event.
However, the interim president of the EFA Amr El-Ganainy, told MBC Egypt TV on Friday: “He appeared in the ceremony for no more than five minutes. He entered a corridor alone, respecting social distancing and wearing a mask.”
The mayor of Nagrig, Maher Shtiyah, also told Egyptian media the ceremony had been limited to between 60 and 70 relatives.
Egypt’s team doctor Mohamed Abou Elela later confirmed that Salah was presenting “mild” symptoms of coronavirus.
Salah in fact returned two positive tests for Covid-19 on Friday, forcing him into a spell of self-isolation. The 28-year-old was forced into self isolation and ruled out of the African Cup of Nations qualifying double header against Togo.
He is also likely to miss Liverpool’s game with Leicester on Sunday and Mido has attacked the player’s actions.
Mido told Al-Nahar TV: “I know I may be under attack after my next comments, but it has to be that way.
“Mohamed Salah made a big mistake by attending his brother’s wedding a few days before the Egyptian national team match, he showed great negligence with the steps taken to prevent the coronavirus and the result was that he was infected.
“The neglect of Mohamed Salah caused the Egyptian team to lose an important player in a very important match and time, and he also risked the health of his team-mates.
“He should not have been present at his brother’s wedding, especially at that time. The wedding included more than 800 people, and half of them accepted to embrace and kiss Salah.
“The other point here is the silence of all those responsible for the player’s negligence. That confirms the fact that the player is still bigger than the national team and this will lead to a great failure.
Mido points finger at Egypt ‘cowards’
“When I missed the 2006 African Nations Cup, I was punished by missing the final and being excluded from the national team for six months. The final we lost. I was young and I think I am older than the team, but I confirm now that no one is bigger than the team. And if someone thinks this, this will be a great failure.”
Mido also believes national team officials also need reprimanding and labelled them ‘cowards’.
Mido added: “Officials in Egypt did not direct any word of blame or reproach to Mohamed Salah and the harm caused by his negligence to the Egyptian team.
“I name each of the Minister of Sports Ashraf Sobhi. Chairman of the EFA Amr Al-Ganayni. The coach of the national team Hossam Al-Badri. And the national team director Mohamed Barakat. All are cowards and fear Mohamed Salah fans who love the Liverpool star.
“But here I am speaking without calculations or fear of anyone, and what is being said should be said to me.
“No one can say that Salah did not make a mistake by going to his brother’s wedding at that difficult time and in light of the corona crisis. All the English newspapers speak against us negatively.
“Salah should have been blamed for what he did, but everyone feels fear.”
Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…
Elneny tests positive
Meanwhile, Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny has also tested positive for coronavirus while away with Egypt.
Elneny, although showing no symptoms, will now quarantine in Cairo.
The Premier League has recorded its highest number of positive tests this season.
The 28-year-old’s positive result is not included in the 16 cases recorded in this week’s round of Premier League checks. 1,207 people were tested.
The post Mo Salah labelled ‘negligent’ as Egypt’s ‘cowards’ come under fire appeared first on teamtalk.com.